Friday, July 27, 2012

The Joy of Summer Reading!




I love to read so I always am asking people what books they have enjoyed recently.  It is a chance to be exposed to lots of new authors and titles.  I posed the question to the Yala Team, and here are the responses:


 
Caitlin:  Right now I’m reading The Zoo Where You’re Fed to God by Michael Ventura.  An amazing and unpredictable book, published in 1994.  If you’re looking for something recently released, next on my list is In One Person by John Irving.  During the spring I read The Fault in Our Stars by John Green which fits in the teen lit genre but offers something for all ages.  It’s an amazing story about three teenagers with cancer- very honest, unflinching and sweet.


 

Kristen: The Historian – written by American author Elizabeth Kostova. The plot blends historical facts surrounding the Ottoman Empire and Eastern Europe with the folklore of Vlad Ţepeş and his fictional equivalent Count Dracula.


 

Naomi: Along with lots of other books about babies (guess why!), I am currently reading Bringing Up Bebe by: Pamela Druckerman –this book offers insight and humor into French child-rearing.



 
Cathy:  I recommend People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks - historical fiction showing the intermingling of religions throughout 800 years as it follows one artifact back through time.  For a good summer read - Castaways and/or The Island  by Elin Hilderbrand.   Fun characters that you would want to meet at a party or have as a neighbor.


 

Larry: Lots of science fiction and the 5 book Game of Thrones.


 

Michael: Breaking Barriers, an autobiography by journalist Carl T Rowan who grew up in poverty and became a nationally known journalist.  He shares eyewitness accounts of all the major events in the civil rights movement.




Chelsea: I have been getting into three different series: Game of Thrones, Hunger Games, and a spy trilogy by Olen Steinhauer (The Tourist is the first book).





Amanda:  Finally, I will have a chance to finish the last book from The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series!


 
Erica: I’m currently reading Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand (non-fiction).  I've also read this summer: Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn and Summerland by Elin Hilderbrand.  All three were great and I would recommend them to anyone!


 
And from me, Nancy:  I am telling everyone about The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh which beautifully tells the story of Victoria and how she communicates through flowers.  It is a sad truthful story, which eventually reveals hope.   


I hope everyone has a chance for a leisurely afternoon by a pool, at the beach or in the backyard with a book in hand.  Happy summer!

Until next time, 

Nancy, Yala President 

No comments:

Post a Comment